Rubel Shelly: Calvinistic Gift of Charisma and Evangelism
Sovereign grace: Evangelism is a spiritual gift given to some members of Christ's body for its faithful and effective function.
So is CHARISMA apparently. However, it is important to note that the Bible uses words and phrases as POINTERS. God uses the word GRACE in the sense of Saving by GRACE through FAITH at the time and place of water baptism. This grace bestows A holy spirit (Acts 2:38) or A good conscience. That also means A good consiousness. With the mind or spirit made into A holy spirit by the washing or sprinkling of God, the field of view is CLEAR. Therefore, a good consiousness means a co-perception of the Words of Christ. But ONLY when we seek Him in worship in the personal spirit.
In His most profound revelation his Divine truth lies hidden so that the "unwashed" cannot see that SPEAK does not mean SING. Nor does IN THE HEART or SPIRIT mean externally.
Why is this? Words like melody, musica, cantus are bound together in the Greek with exegesis, hermeneutics and sorcery and "magica."
To see GRACE as the FOCUS of Christianity means that one is GRACE CENTERED. But, Grace was a brown eyed Greek. Therefore, the earthly GRACE which is used to repudiate the Word of Christ gave birth to the word CHARISMATIC. Charismatic is tied hand in foot to sodomy and especially pederasty which was the "associate" in all priesthoods. God's Charisma or Grace is the "power to conform to the will of God." If your Grace gives you permission to "take liberties" they you have signed on with a sodomite religion which is the MARK of people using legalistic rituals to LIFT YOU UP or arouse you. The word HERETIC includes the word rituals to LIFT UP YOUR PROPERTY AND USE IT FOR THE CHARISMATIC'S own purposes. Lifting up is facilitated by ODEING or singing with complex harmony. This sequence of words includes the word KLEPTOMANIA. The word TETTIX or LOCUST binds them all together. This is the end-time scheme of Abaddon or Apollo and his MUSES who will go back into the netherworld according to
We need to understand that the claim to be a spiritually gifted evangelist does not make it so. If we have to accept one as gifted by God's sovereign grace then how can we reject those who claim supernatural power to work miracles or speak in tongues?
"There is, in our day, a marvellous idolatry of talent; it is strange and a grievous thing to see how men bow down before genius and success. Draw the distinction sharp and firm between these two things-goodness is one thing, talent is another. It is an instructive fact that the son of Man came not as a scribe, but as a poor working man. He was a teacher, but not a Rabbi.
When once the idolatry of talent enters the Church, then farewell to spirituality; when men ask their teachers, not for that which will make them more humble and God-like,
but for the excitement of an intellectual banquet, then farewell to Christian progress.' (F. W. Robertson, Hastings on 1 Cor. p. 10).
This sermon begins with the death-bed stories as usual. We suggest that you read them by looking up the total sermon here;
However, we want to discuss the claim of supernatural assignment still given to evangelists as an act of Calvinistic sovereign grace.
Evangelism: A Gift to Some
Rubel Shelly: If my understanding of the New Testament is correct, evangelism is a spiritual gift given to some members of Christ's body for its faithful and effective function (Eph. 4:11; cf. Rom. 12:7).
In Second Corinthians Paul lays out a test: an evengelist "goes" and suffers and even refuses to accept a salary in order to cut the feet from under those who see "godliness as a means of financial gain." That is, they see evangelism as "occupation" rather than a call to an avocation.
Remember that the first Apostles and later Paul were told by Jesus personally or as the Spirit that they would be given a supernatural memory of what they had already heard and be guided into all truth as the church was confirmed in the world. In the case of Peter, a vision informed him about the Gentiles. In the case of Paul, "Jesus of Nazareth" was the "Lord" who appeared to and spoke audibly to give him his "assignment" as an apostle. Jesus as Spirit later spoke to him.
Because our preachers never heard Jesus personally they have no supernatural memory of what they have never heard. But we are aware that those claiming to be given their "office" by God's sovereign grace, claim to hear God's voice clearly.
Howevver, the Context of Ephesians 4:11 has a beginning:
He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) Ephesians 4:10
God moved into the Spirit realm to complete the work He began in the person of Jesus. Fill means:
Pleroo (g4137) play-ro'-o; from 4134; to make replete i.e. (lit.) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (fig.) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish a period or task, verify or coincide with a prediction, etc.: - accomplish, * after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfill, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.
In order to "fill all things" Jesus personally selected, trained and Spirit-filled a limited number of indivisuals:
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; Ephesians 4:11
If Rubel Shelly is correct and the "evangelist" is a spiritual gift from God then the logical conclusion is that He still gifts apostles and prophets.
These men "Knew in part and prophesied in part."" However,
But when that which is perfect (complete) is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 1 Cor 13:10
That which was "in part" was knowledge and prophesying of that knowledge. Therefore, that which is perfect is filling the church to its fulness with how it should operate.
If these personally selected or selected by inspired men did not reveal the Mind of Christ (Spirit) fully then neither they nor Jesus were successful.
Therefore, if this means that evangelists are the "highest office" in the modern congregation removed from the finished work of Jesus by two thousand years, then we must have apostles and prophets. Furthermore, it means that the pastor-teachers are also inspired. This is totally consistent witht the borrowed Blackaby/King view that Jesus had His assignment, Paul had his asignment but now we must get our own supernatural assignment to perhaps be even superior to all of those old timers.
Paul told the spiritually gifted Timothy:
Preach the word (Logos) ; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 2 Tim 4:2
Kerusso (g2784) kay-roos'-so; of uncert. affin.; to herald (as a public crier), espec. divine truth (the gospel): - preach (-er), proclaim, publish.
You cannot "surface" an evangelist hidden somehow without sending him out.
Didache (g1322) did-akh-ay'; from 1321; instruction (the act or the matter): - doctrine, hath been taught.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 2 Tim 4:3
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 2 Tim 4:4
Muthos (g3454) moo'-thos; perh. from the same as 3453 (through the idea of tuition); a tale, i.e. fiction ("myth"): - fable.
But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. 2 Tim 4:5
An evangelist in the Greek is:
Euaggelistes (g2099) yoo-ang-ghel-is-tace'; from 2097; a preacher of the gosepl: - evangelist.
Euaggelizo (g2097) yoo-ang-ghel-id'-zo; from 2095 and 32; to announce good news ("evangelize") espec. the gospel: - declare, bring (declare, show) glad (good) tidings, preach (the gospel).
While a Timothy with supernatural gifts might remain until his job was done, he was not a resident on the payroll. Not even angels camp out at the "love feasts."
And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings. Lu.1:19
An angel is a sent messenger and not an officer in the local congregation:
Aggelos (g32) ang'-el-os;, [prob. der. from 71; comp. 34] (to bring tidings); a messenger; esp. an "angel"; by impl. a pastor: - angel, messenger
Paul Revere earned his living making silver articles, surgical instruments, spectacles, engravings and etc. However, when he had "news" he had to go as a herald. We just don't ever picture Paul Revere sitting in Boston claiming the power of a "located herald."
Paul told the non-inspired elders:
He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it Tit.1:9
This also applies to the "preaching" of the one another in what we call "singing." To continue to compose songs and sermons repudiates the completely filled work of Jesus.
The "gifting" idea is part of the Post Modern or Purpose Driven Church idea: you might be the Moses or Jesus for your day but how can we tell unless we help you find your ministry. A "gift" is the desire for a work. Then you make sure that the willing is trained. Some people have "talent" but
Peter said that talent is used for ministering but that preachers must speak the Word as it has been Written:
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;
if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth:
that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. 1Pe.4:11
This means that teachers don't use "gifts" but the Word. Some are better than others but a dedicated teacher with no talent is better than one filled with misconceptions but great talent. Peter then said that if you minister or serve then you can use your human talent.
Furthermore, if the "core" of the gosepl is seven facts about Jesus then there is no role for the evangelist in the local congregation after the core has been preached. For whatever he did, Payne Stewart did not die for the world and to preach him is not to preach the gospel. And there is no role in any church for an official eulogizer.
Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another mans foundation: Romans 15:20
But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand. Romans 15:21
If the gospel is the "core" as Paul seemed to indicate, there is no paid role for an evangelist to make his entire caree our of "laying foundations."
In the "world" there is a need for charismatic men. However, in the church of body of Christ, there is no office of Father Superior but of servants -- slaves only:
So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. Romans 12:5
Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering; or he that teacheth, on teaching; Romans 12:7
Diakonia (g1248) dee-ak-on-ee'-ah; from 1249; attendance (as a servant, etc.); fig. (eleemosynary) aid, (official) service (espec. of the Chr. teacher, or techn. of the diaconate): - (ad-) minister (- ing, - tration, -try), office, relief, service (-ing).
If you hire a surrogate teacher you are like the wife who hires a surrogate father or husband: you break the body.
Let us stop to review an Email because there are good "evangelists" and "false evangelists" and Paul would identify the "many" as false, worldly and popular in the world. However, the few are evangelists and often hated and despised. They are never applauded and there are other tests to determine whether one is an inspired evangelist:
E-Mail: I was reading your web page after i had finished watching the movie "Fallen" and i was wondering if indeed it is possible that the spirit of Azazel or Azazel himself in a spirit like form does haunt the earth. i read through your article and some others and it is still not clear to me his position.
I am not an expert on this thing. However, Peter wrote
- Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 1 Pe.5:8
In the garden of Eden he was disguised as a "serpent" which was some upright beast. He is often pictured as a composite animal with the "dragon" being common in the Bible and in the Babylonian remembrances. However, the "serpent" in the garden is presented allegorically in other passages of the Old Testament as "the king of Tyre or Babylon." In Jeremiah 31 Assyria as the "tallest tree in the garden" which represents certain classes of people. And Paul agreed by saying:
- For such are false apostles (pretend preacher) , deceitful (decoys, bait) workers, transforming (disguising) themselves into the apostles of Christ. 2 Cor. 11:13 (foundation layers)
- And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 2 Cor. 11:14
- Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works. 2 Cor. 11:15
It seems logical to me that while Satan is restrained his "ministers" are not. Therefore, he uses his own agent ministers as "decoys" and where better to drop in his "bait" than in the church. Paul often contrasted his honest ministry to the "many" who were not honest; they were robbers. This may mean that the majority are always teaching error but calling it "gospel." It is not logical that Satan would send his agents into the sink holes of society: he isn't stupid but the "brightest" creature ever created. He is "Lucifer" identified as the king of Babylon, the king of Trye and the end-time Babylonian whore and they all used and will use music as the most "charismatic" weapon.
However, John gave a test to "weed out" the false prophets or apostles:
And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us. 1 John 3:24
In Isaiah 11 all of the seven "spirits" which would rest on Jesus were spirits of knowing. Therefore, the spirit informs us and these people "knew" because they had been taught by an evangelist.
Our spirit understands God's Spirit (the Mind of Christ} because He has given His Spirit in His Words (John 6:63). When we hear and obey His commandments then our actions are our proofs. Our spirit knows that God's Spirit sent the evangelists into all the world. Paul was so "gospel directed" that he was not to remain even to count those baptized.
Satan and his ministers have gone out into the world.
The first test of an apostle or prophet is "whether he has gone out into the world." If he has not gone then he is defacto not an evangelist any more than one can be a located traveling salesman.
- BELOVED, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1
- BUT there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 Peter 2:1
- pseudo-prophêtês , [p. 2021] ou, ho, false, lying prophet, J.AJ9.6.6, al., 2 Ep.Pet.2.1, Ph.2.343, etc. Sophists.
- Josephus (9:(6) After these, there met him a good and a righteous man, whose name was Jehonadab, and who had been his friend of old. He saluted Jehu, and began to commend him, because he had done every thing according to the will of God, in extirpating the house of Ahab. So Jehu desired him to come up into his chariot, and make his entry with him into Samaria; and told him that he would not spare one wicked man, but would punish the false prophets, and false priests, and those that deceived the multitude, and persuaded them to leave the worship of God Almighty, and to worship foreign gods; and that it was a most excellent and most pleasing sight to a good and a righteous man to see the wicked punished.
- In the case of these "prophets" the primary method of inducing a state of virtual insanity was instrumental music and the whirling dance performed by David. The sign of God's approval that you made yourself so vile with the "servant girls" that God could believe that you were subordinate.
- pseudomantis , eôs, ho, hê, false prophet, Hdt.4.69, A.Ag.1195, S.OC 1097, E.Or.1667, etc.
- Herodotus 4 LXVII. There are many diviners among the Scythians, who divine by means of many wi!low wands as I will show. They bring great bundles of wands, which they lay on the ground and unfasten, and utter their divinations as they lay the rods down one by one; and while still speaking, they gather up the rods once more and place them together again;  this manner of divination is hereditary among them. The Enarees, who are hermaphrodites, say that Aphrodite gave them the art of divination, which they practise by means of lime-tree bark. They cut this bark into three portions, and prophesy while they braid and unbraid these in their fingers.
- If the diviners are found false:
- Herodotus 4:LXIX. And this is how they die. Men yoke oxen to a wagon laden with sticks and tie the diviners up in these, fettering their legs and binding their hands behind them and gagging them; then they set fire to the sticks and drive the oxen away, stampeding them.  Often the oxen are burnt to death with the diviners, and often the yoke-pole of their wagon is burnt through and the oxen escape with a scorching. They burn their diviners for other reasons, too, in the way described, calling them false prophets.  When the king puts them to death, he does not leave the sons alive either, but kills all the males of the family; the females he does not harm.
The Didache, or the Doctrine of the Twelve Apostles, was an early document believed to have originated in Syria. It was written between 65 and 80 AD. The Didache warns about the false apostles or spirits and gives some absolute tests and laws:
Didache 11:1 Whosoever, therefore, shall come and teach you all these things aforesaid, him do ye receive;
Didache 11:2 but if the teacher himself turn and teach another doctrine with a view to subvert you, hearken not to him;
- but if he come to add to your righteousness,
- and the knowledge of the Lord,
- receive him as the Lord.
Didache 11:3 But concerning the apostles and prophets, thus do ye according to the doctrine of the Gospel. (The gospel includes the imperative to go)
Didache 11:4 Let every apostle who cometh unto you be received as the Lord.
- Didache 11:5--- He will remain one day, and if it be necessary, a second; but if he remain three days, he is a false prophet.
- Didache 11:6 --- And let the apostle when departing take nothing but bread until he arrive at his resting-place; but if he ask for money, he is a false prophet.
Didache 11:7 And ye shall not tempt or dispute with any prophet who speaketh in the spirit; for every sin shall be forgiven, but this sin shall not be forgiven.
- Didache 11:8 But not every one who speaketh in the spirit is a prophet, but he is so who hath the disposition of the Lord;
- by their dispositions they therefore shall be known, the false prophet and the prophet.
- Didache 11:9 And every prophet who ordereth in the spirit that a table shall be laid, shall not eat of it himself, but if he do otherwise, he is a false prophet;
John continues his test which is part of the "gospel."
Hereby know ye the Spirit of God:
- Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 1 John 4:2
This is not a test for the believers but for the "many" who are "gone out" into the world. If the evangelist is not going out into the world then he is less powerful than the agents of Satan. Because the context is "going out" confessing Christ as come in the flesh means "preaching the gospel." If he has not gone then he is not confessing the gospel where Christ "assigned" him.
And if he is preaching "chicken soup" rather than Jesus he is a false spirit:
- And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 1 John 4:3
Nothing happened after John wrote to indicate that Azazel and his agents have retired from the "world" as the battle scene assigned to the evangelists.
Remember again that to be an honest evangelist he "will have gone out" to preach the basics of the gospel: Christ and Him crucified and all that it means. If he comes to you and preaches human phylosophy or uses the latest book as "proof text" and if he is transformed from a "threshing oxen" into a permanent fixture in your feed barn then he is not confessing Jesus. And if he is attractive to all and highly popular than he may be one of Azazel's little "flashlights."
- Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4
- They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world,
- and the world heareth them. 1 John4:5
- We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us.
- Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error. 1 John 4:6
The test of being spiritual is whether you love the false teaching or can pick them out and pluck them out. One of the tests of the false apostle or evangelist is that they are "planets" or roving stars:
- Plane (g4106) plan'-ay; fem. of 4108 (as abstr.); obj. fraudulence; subj. a straying from orthodoxy or piety: - deceit, to deceive, delusion, error
- Planos (g4108) plan'-os; of uncert. affin.; roving (as a tramp), i.e. (by impl.) an impostor or misleader: - deceiver, seducing.
- NOW the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils (demons or ghosts); 1Ti.4:1
Many people have made the Holy Spirit into a ghoast or geist. The view that He comes to select people to "distribute fortunes" makes the doctrine of demons possible:
- Daimon (g1142) dah'ee-mown; (to distribute fortunes); a doemon or supernatural spirit (of a bad nature): - devil
- And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon (facinating animal), and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. Revelation 16:13
- For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather (assemble) them to the battle (polemic battle) of that great day of God Almighty. Revelation 16:14
The deceiver is like a serpent or dragon because he must be able to "Capture people's attention."
Facinate "bewitch, hold the attention, delightful, charming."
Charisma "beauty, grace, talent, divinely inspired. Captures the imagination."
Jude supplies more tests for the ministers of Azazel who taught Genun (Jubal) how to make musical instruments and organize mixed-sex choirs to seduce the righteous people down into the dark valleys of Cain. Gainsaying is from the Greek antilogia meaning to dispute, disobey, contradict, create strife. They are evangelists whose mission is to dispute God's Word:
- Woe unto them for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core. Jude 1:11
- These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots; Jude 1:12
- Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever. Jude 1:13
- And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, Jude 1:14
- To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. Jude 1:15
Enoch Chapter 2
- 1 Behold, he comes with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon them, and destroy the wicked, and reprove all the carnal for everything which the sinful and ungodly have done, and committed against him.
Enoch Chapter 3
1 All who are in the heavens know what is transacted there.
- 2 They know that the heavenly luminaries change not their paths; that each rises and sets regularly, every one at its proper period, without transgressing the commands, which they have received. The behold the earth, and understand what is there transacted, from the beginning to the end of it.
- 3 They see that every work of God is invariable in the period of its appearance. They behold summer and winter: perceiving that the whole earth is full of water; and that the cloud, the dew, and the rain refresh it.
In Chapter Seven:
- 3 Then their leader Samyaza said to them; I fear that you may perhaps be indisposed to the performance of this enterprise;
- 4 And that I alone shall suffer for so grievous a crime.
- 5 But they answered him and said; We all swear;
- 6 And bind ourselves by mutual execrations, that we will not change our intention, but execute our projected undertaking.
- 7 Then they swore all together, and all bound themselves by mutual execrations. Their whole number was two hundred, who descended upon Ardis, (4) which is the top of mount Armon.
- (Note 4) Upon Ardis. Or, "in the days of Jared" (R.H. Charles, ed. and trans., The Book of Enoch [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1893], p. 63).
- 8 That mountain therefore was called Armon, because they had sworn upon it, (5) and bound themselves by mutual execrations.
- (Note 5) Mt. Armon, or Mt. Hermon, derives its name from the Hebrew word herem, a curse (Charles, p. 63).
- Mount Hermon is the traditional battle ground between the Jaredites being seduced by the musical Cainites down in the valley. See the following link to Adam and Eve.
Enoch Chapter 8
1 Moreover Azazyel taught men to make swords, knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of mirrors, and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments, the use of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows, the use of stones of every valuable and select kind, and all sorts of dyes, so that the world became altered.
- 1 AFTER Cain had gone down to the land of dark soil, and his children had multiplied therein, there was one of them,
- whose name was Genun, son of Lamech the blind who slew Cain.
- 2 But as to this Genun, Satan came into him in his childhood;
- and he made sundry trumpets and horns, and string instruments, cymbals and psalteries, and lyres and harps, and flutes; and he played on them at all times and at every hour.
- [The horns in Hebrew were the yobels or Jubals from which Jubilee gets its meaning. Genun plays the part of Jubal. The trumpet and the idea of "triumphing over" people with panic noise go together.]
3 And when he played on them,
- Satan came into them, so that from among them were heard beautiful and sweet sounds, that ravished the heart.
Rubel Shelly: No more than every part of the human body can be an eye, a foot, or a hand can every saved person be an evangelist or teacher. The church also needs people with the gifts of administration, leadership, philanthropy, and so on. This is not an original thought with me. It is Paul's extended argument at 1 Corinthians 12:12ff. Perhaps the most critical verse for my purpose right now is verse 18: "But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be."
If the "gospel" is "seven facts about Jesus" then why could not any adult or child go and tell the story. Part of our "ministry" has been to send adults young and old to Russia to simply "read the Word" or have the students read. Do you need "charisma" to do that? Jesus sent out poor, simple fisherment specificially so that people would not be distracted by "charisma."
It is thought that Paul had a disgusting eye disease:
And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. Ga.4:14
Paul thought that this might disqualify him as an apostle and evangelist:
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. 2Co. 12:7
The thorn is something like "lean" rather than wide-open eyes.
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. 2Co. 12:8
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities,
that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2Co.12:9
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christs sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. 2Co. 12:10
Paul had the "charisma" as grace but the did not depend at all upon human characteristics. So, if you don't meet the tests established in Scripture then you are not an evangelistic and the "ministry" might be from the wrong spirit.
It is true that God ordained the parts of the church as the Body of Christ and there was no evangelist, Musical Worship Facilitator, Senior's Minister, Youth Minister, Involvement Minister, Children's Minister, Internet Minister or any of the modern dominant, professional clergy. Therefore, it is not good to use the Bible as proof text and not obey its instructions.
Rubel Shelly: There are times and places where some of us have been made to feel guilty that we had neither the personal charisma, teaching skills, nor Bible knowledge to go out and teach someone what to do to be saved. But should you feel guilty that you are not a charismatic leader or that you cannot be a wealthy benefactor to this church? Should I feel guilty that I am not gifted or suited to be an administrator in the life of this body?
If some are disqualified to "lead" in a religious sense then others MUST be charismatic and capable of leading. The mark of the Pharisee was that they believed that they has some superior insight which was worth taking the money even from old widows.
We have noted above that the power of the Dragon or the Serpent is extremely charismatic. Therefore, the ability to facinate people to keep their eyes on the evangelist is not proof of being supernaturally sent.
"attribute of astonishing (awesome} and almost magical power and capacity ascribed by followers to the person and personality of extraordinarily magnetic leaders. Such leaders may be political and secular as well as religious.
"The term came into scholarly usage primarily through the works of the German sociologist Max Weber (1864-1920), especially his Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft (1921; On Law in Economy and Society, 1954),
in which he postulated that charismatic authority was a form of authority
distinct from those of tradition and law.
Therefore, personal charisma will almost automatically claim to have a new pattern ans he rejects the laws of God and what is called "traditionalism."
Our writer claims that evangelists come with the assignment from the Spirit and therefore must have the authority of the Spirit. However, the Britannica continues:
"The authority of the Holy Spirit, in whose name the free charismatic figures speak,
does not allow its instructions and prophecies to be criticized in terms of contents;
its evaluation had to be made dependent upon purely ethical qualifications.
This tension ended, in practical terms, with the exclusion of the free charismatic figures from the leadership of the church.
The charismatic continuation of the revelation, in the form of new scriptures of revelation, was also checked.
The undaunted claim to be a "charismatic leader" quite naturally flows from the notion that such an individual has a Blackaby/King "assignment" from God to be the "Christ" in this church. However, continuing to speak of this error the Britannica notes that:
"The emergence of Trinitarian speculations in early church theology led to great difficulties in the article about the "person" of the Holy Spirit.
In the New Testament the Holy Spirit tended to be present more as power than as person, though there was distinctive personal representation in the form of the dove at Jesus' baptism. (Personification)
But it was difficult to incorporate this graphic or symbolic representation into dogmatic theology. Nevertheless, with Athanasius the idea of the complete essence (homoousia) of the Holy Spirit with the Father and the Son was achieved.
This claim of the personal possession of one third of the Godhead (second incarnation) naturally led and leads to the quite laughable claim to have the power of the Spirit.
The unabashed claim of charisma contrasts to the servants of God:
God's Charisma does not mean universal attractiveness. God has no use for the 'idolatry of talent.' Look at the Apostle Paul from:
THE LIFE OF THE GREAT MARTYR THECLA OF ICONIUM the Acts of Paul and Thecla.
7. At length they saw a man coming (namely Paul), of a small stature with meeting eyebrows, bald [or shaved] head, bow- legged, strongly built, hollow-eyed, with a large crooked nose; he was full of grace, for sometimes he appeared as a man, sometimes he had the countenance of an angel. And Paul saw Onesiphorus and was glad.
8. And Onesiphorus said: Hail, servant of the blessed God. Paul replied, The grace of God be with you and your family.
However, the watching world often wanted to murder him:
In Chapter Eight:
- 1. In the meantime Paul, together with Onesiphorus, his wife and children, was keeping a fast in a certain cave which was in the road from Iconium to Daphne.
- 2. And when they had fasted for several days, the children said to Paul, Father, we are hungry and have nothing with which to buy bread; for Onesiphorus had left all his substance to follow Paul with this family.
- 3. Then Paul, taking off his coat, said to the boy, Go, child, and buy bread, and bring it back.
Jesus was not a "charismatic leader" but a meek and mild shepherd of the sheep.
On the contrary, Jude and Enoch warns that God will come with ten thousand angels to get both charismatic preachers and those who can be swayed by people:
- These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having mens persons in admiration because of advantage. Ju.1:16
- But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ Ju. 1:17
- How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. Ju. 1:18
- These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit. Ju. 1:19
- But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit (In Spirit or in the holy mind), Ju. 1:20
Because all of these people claim God's assignment to be authoratitive teachers (fathers) in the local flock and camp out in the "love feasts" the claim for supernatural power of an evangelist must be tested by the Biblical facts.
Rubel Shelly: If God had wanted me to be an administrator or CEO-type, he would have given me the natural gifts, training, and opportunity to be one.
I suppose the "audience" is supposed to believe that if after trying all of their lives the only job open to them is cleaning out latrines they are driven by God's Calvinistic sovereign choice and predetermined to keep them down and out. If he hand picks one to be a charismatic evangelistic then he must pick others to "witness" by a life-long disease.
If the writer had wanted to be a CEO God would surely have said:
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. Eccl 9:10
I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. Eccl 9:11
Why would God give the gift of evangelism and leave out the imperative:
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
The call to "preaching" is not the call for "pastoring" in the sense of lecturing on self or gifted friends. Rather, preaching is quite identical to "evangelizing."
Kerusso (g2784) kay-roos'-so; of uncert. affin.; to herald (as a public crier), espec. divine truth (the gospel): - preach (-er), proclaim, publish.
Euaggelizo (g2097) yoo-ang-ghel-id'-zo; from 2095 and 32; to announce good news ("evangelize") espec. the gospel: - declare, bring (declare, show) glad (good) tidings, preach (the gospel).
Paul Revere was a herald but he was not a "located herald."
It has been said that one is not a deacon unless they are "a deeking." In the same way, one is not an evangelist unless they are on the go. That does not mean selling books or holding seminars among believers.
God must have given most "evangelists" the wrong Blackaby-like assignment quite equal with that of Moses or Jesus. One can no more be a "located evangelist" than they can be a "located traveling salesman." And presuming to preach and get pay without going is the supernatural sign of something else.
The goal of evangelising is not to collect a mass of people in a temple but Jesus made the assignment, it has not changed, and it demands:
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. Mark 16:16
If you minimize this command they you cannot be an evangelist.
Rubel Shelly: He gave those gifts and challenges to George Miller, Ron Joyner, and Mark Thompson. If he had wanted them to do what I do, he would have given them different gifts and life tracks.
If he had wanted you to have the gift of evangelism, he would have given it to you.
If you have that gift, it is our responsibility to help you surface it and to help you find a place in the life of this church to use it for God's glory.
Why would God predestinate one to be an evangelist without letting them in on the secret? What about all of those people who never had the Cult-like "gift discernment course?"
Rubel Shelly: Evangelism as with every other spiritual gift ranging from healing the sick and raising the dead in the first century to showing mercy to the sick today is a gift that God bestows by his sovereign grace. It is not everyone's gift, not everyone's calling, not everyone's assignment in the church.
Does that mean that there are those who cn raise the dead still?
Sovereign Grace is a uniquely Calvinistic term clearly approved by saying that you cannot be an evangelist unless God gave you the gift. That is, you have no free will:
"This (free will) cannot be true if men are totally depraved and unable to respond to divine truth. Men don't need a gentle push; they need a spiritual resurrection, a quickening. It would mean that God "in his saving operations, deals not generally with mankind at large, but particularly with the individuals who are actually saved." It would mean that regeneration must precede and not follow saving faith. It would mean that God works directly upon the human soul in salvation; that Christ is not passively waiting, but actually saving His people. It would mean that salvation is totally a work of God--that God receives all the glory; that man contributes nothing of his own to the process; that even faith and repentance are gifts from above. Salvation is by sovereign grace. Since the doctrine of total inability is so important as it relates to other doctrines, one must carefully examine the scriptural evidence for it.
Now, if you are an embryo evangelist with the Spirit ordained "assignment" that is not enough. With our help, we can surface that predestinated gift.
Henry Blackaby states:
"What an awesome friendship with God has been entrusted to you! He is placing into your hands the keys of His Kingdom.
The Master does not entrust such treasures to those who are not trustworthy.
He reads your heart. Jesus said, "You didn't choose me, I chose you.
"And the intensity of the Mount of Transfiguration is seen in the fact that
not only the Father Himself was there, but He brought alongside the Lord Jesus, Moses, and Elijah.
The intensity of carrying the load of a world was so heavy the Father brought His resources, but Jesus brought three of His disciples. There were three that He could take farther with Him than He could take some others.
Is this blasphemy or what? Does God really need a doubting Moses or an runaway Elijah. Is the assignment of Jesus just like that of Moses and Elijah?
The modern concept of "praise singing" to replace Paul's Spirit-guided assignement to TEACH is also to help God carry the load.
Experiencing God wants you to believe on page 36 that "In the Old Testament God spoke at many times and in a variety of ways . Through Jesus, God Himself spoke to His people during His lifetime. Now, God speaks through the Holy Spirit." This implies three time periods in which God speaks directly to someone: Old Testament, the prophets; New Testament, Jesus; now, perhaps you.
In Unit 3 "I do not choose Him, He chooses me, loves me, and reveals His eternal purposes for my life."
"I cannot know the activity of God unless He takes the initiative to let me know." God's whole plan for the kingdom depends on His direct work through the people.
If God bestows a supernatural gift on one to make them into an evangelist then why would he not continue to give the gift of prophecy, healing and raising the dead. The same words are intermingled in the secular (pseudo-Christian) world using the same words as employed by our writer. Rubel Shelly says something similar in this article.